In this practically perfect episode of Adapt or Perish, we discuss P.L. Travers’ Mary Poppins!
For this episode, we read and watched:
- P.L. Travers’ original novel, published in 1934, the first in the Mary Poppins series which ran until 1988. Read it on iBooks or Amazon.
- Walt Disney’s Mary Poppins, 1964, directed by Robert Stevenson, written by Bill Walsh and Don DaGradi, with music by Richard and Robert Sherman. Starring Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, and David Tomlinson. Watch it on iTunes or Amazon.
- Saving Mr. Banks, 2013, directed by John Lee Hancock, written by Kelly Marcel and Sue Smith, and starring Emma Thompson as P.L. Travers and Tom Hanks as Walt Disney. Watch it on iTunes or Amazon.
- Mary Poppins Returns, 2018, directed by Rob Marshall, written by David Magee, music by Marc Shaiman, and starring Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ben Whishaw, and Emily Mortimer. Pre-order it on iTunes and Amazon.
- Mr. Snuffleupagus and “The Child Psychology of Sesame Street”
- Our own episode on A Wrinkle in Time
- Also, our very own episode on Roald Dahl and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Mr. Rogers reads the lyrics to “What Do You Do With The Mad That You Feel?” for the United States Senate Subcommittee on Communications in 1969
- The Pleiades and Neil Gaiman’s Stardust
- Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- “Dick Van Dyke: ‘Someone should have told me to work on my cockney accent’” from The Guardian
- Dick Van Dyke’s 90th Birthday Flash Mob + Sing-A-Long
- Marni Nixon (not to be confused with Marti Noxon)
If you want to send us a question or comment, you can email us at email@example.com or tweet using #adaptcast.